Can you use your cellphone at school?
A central Iowa high school has cracked down on students' excessive use of cellphones and other hand-held devices by banning them during the entire school day.
Officials at Bondurant-Farrar High School say students can carry their cellphones in their pockets or purses, but they can't use them or even look at them. That includes between classes and during the lunch hour.
Officials say the ban was in response to students' excessive use of the electronic devices. They also wanted to control cyber-bullying on social media.
Students face different levels of punishment if they disobey the rules. Some students have had their cellphones taken away for a short period. At least two students have received a tougher three-day school suspension.
Critical thinking challenge: What does the school gain by cracking down on cellphone use? Do you think students should be allowed to use cellphones at school? Why or Why not? After you respond to these questions you will then respond to two other students opinions.
Read the summary article on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens (click here). Then answer the following questions. Please number you answers and use complete sentences and proper English to answer the questions. You must use your OWN words to answer the questions.
1. Be Proactive: What does it mean to be proactive? What qualities are needed to be proactive? Can you discern in your own life the difference between what you can influence and what you cannot? How proactive are you in your classes...in your daily life?
2. Begin With the End In Mind: How do you define your own personal principles? Have you established a goal/mission for this year? What would (or is) you goal? - Be specific!!!
3. Put Things First: How do you manage your time? What to you put priority on when organizing your time?
4. Think Win/Win: What is win/win (you may need to use the Internet to find this answer in more detail)? Give an example from your own experience where you achieved (or not) a win/win situation?
5. Understand/Understood: What does this mean...and how is it relevant to your life?
6. Synergize: What does synergy mean and how does it apply to personal effectiveness? How does it differ from the Win/Win principle? Can you think of how synergy might work in your own life?
7. Sharpen the Saw: What does it mean to achieve "balance"? Can you apply this principle to your own situation?
After you have answered the questions. You need to read 2 other students responses and respond back to them in support of their statements or to respectfully disagree and explain why. Remember we first need to Understand before we can be Understood.
Remember if you didn't get full credit for DQ#2 because you weren't able to respond to someone on your post last week make sure to check that post as well and make a response back by Wednesday - September 21st for opportunity for full credit.
This DQ will be in regards to a very controversial issue that the Internet has caused an increase in. First we will look at plagiarism and then piracy.
Answer the questions that are presented for your Initial Response (200 words in paragraph format). You must pick one student that you disagree with one or more of their statements and explain to them why you disagree and give facts to them that would help them change their mind (50+ words). Then for your second reply to a student you will reply back to a student that has disagreed with you to either defend your point or explain why they have changed your mind (50+ words). If no one responds to you by Thursday - you will earn your other 5 points the following week.
1.What is plagiarism?
2.Why do you think people plagiarize?
3. Have you ever broken copyright rules? Why or why not?
4. Are you for or against CD burning, massive photocopying and pirate copies, what are your reasons for this?
5. What do you think of the growing trend in downloading
ready-made essays from the Internet?
6. What do you think of the growing trend in downloading music and movies from the Internet?
7.How can we prevent plagiarism?
1. What is piracy?
2. What kind of things can be pirated?
3. Have you ever seen pirated goods for sale?
4. Why are pirated products cheaper?
5. Do you think that pirated products are just as good?
6. How can we prevent piracy?
Welcome to Digitools Discussion Questions. One of the class assignments that you will complete each week is a reply to the DQ for that week and graded on effort, spelling, grammar, and answering of the questions. You can earn 20 points - 10 points for initial response and 5 for each peer feedback. You have until 11:59pm every Friday to complete the DQ and any alternate posts required. Please be sure provide your first name only use blog etiquette when responding.
For this week due 9/9 @ 11:59pm (no peer feedback)-
Tell me who you are, what you want to learn in Digitools, how you think your typing speed is compared the average speed for your grade level(45wpm), and how you think you will learn best in this class. Tell me what you are most worried about for this class, and ways you are going to make sure you are successful in D9.
Mrs. Miller will use the blog to help students ask questions, remember what we did in class and just a place to discuss class topics.